Quality assurance is an ongoing process of each higher education institution and so there should always be structures at these institutions that guarantee that acceptable standards are adhered to. An institution should, therefore, have its own internal quality assurance system.
- Provide criteria for accreditation of higher education institutions and programmes
- Constitute peer review panels to attend to the accreditation applied for by an institution
- Issue a certificate of accreditation if prescribed standards are achieved or deny the issurance of a certificate.
ZIMCHE was created through an act of parliament Chapter 25:27 which was promulgated in 2006. The act establishes ZIMCHE and the procedures for the registration and accreditation of institutions of higher education.
The mandate of ZIMCHE is to promote and co-ordinate education provided by institutions of higher education and to act as a regulator in the determination and maintenance of standards of teaching, examinations, academic qualifications and research in institutions of higher education.
Functions of ZIMCHE without prejudice to the generality of section 5, are
- (a) to advise the Minister on all higher education matters; and
- (b) to develop and recommend policy on higher education including the establishment of public institutions and advise the Minister accordingly; and
- (c) to accredit institutions of higher education; and
- (d) to design and recommend an institutional quality assurance system for higher education, that is, a system whereby the courses, programmes and degrees offered by institutions are evaluated on a regular and objective basis, and to recommend to the Minister institutional quality assurance standards for:
Higher Education Institutions
Zimbabwe has 20 Higher Education Institutions registered with the Zimbabwe Council Council for Higher Education. There are 14 State Universities and 6 Private Universities.
Address and Contacts
VENUE: ZIMCHE PREMISES: 21 J. M Nkomo road, Hatfield
- For more information Contact: Jonathan Gandari
- Cell: 0777459048
- Tel: +263 4 571163/5,
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com