Women's University in Africa (WUA) Student Portal. All new and old students must have an account with the WUA student portal. Therefore, students may log in using the User ID and Password into the web … [Read More...]
Mount Kenya University (MKU) Admission Requirements 2020/2021: Regular, Part-time & Distance: January, May & September SSchool-Based: April, August & December. Courses offered in Thika, Parklands and Nairobi Campuses.
Mount Kenya University (MKU) is a premier university committed to a broad-based, holistic and inclusive system of education. The student should check the latest academic programmes offered and respective fees structure at other Mount Kenya University Campuses/Centres from our website -www.mku.ac.ke.
MKU Admission Requirements:
Mount Kenya University is positioned as the leader in quality higher education provision in the region with ISO 9001: 2008 Certified. MKU was among the first universities in Kenya to offer Oracle Certification courses.
1. College of Health Sciences
- Medical School
- School of Public Health.
- School of Clinical Medicine
- School of Pharmacy
- School of Nursing
2. School of Pure and Applied Sciences
3. School of Computing and Informatics
4. School of Engineering, Energy and Built Environment
5. School of Business and Economics
6. School of Hospitality, Travel and Tourism Management
7. School of Law
8. School of Social Sciences
9. School of Education
Requirements for Undergraduate Degrees
- A bachelor’s degree is awarded by authority of the Senate based on recommendation of Deans of Schools on the candidates who have met the requirements established for the particular degree programme. Degrees are awarded only to students who are in good standing and who have met all their obligations to the University. Students are referred to the detailed statements of the various schools and departments for additional specific requirements.
- Each degree must meet the minimum requirements of 56 units (56×42=2352 contact hours). The University requirement for a major is a minimum of 36 units and for a minor is a minimum of 20 units (840 contact hours). Students who wish to have multiple majors for one degree listed on their transcript must:
- a. Fulfill all departmental requirements in the several majors.
- b. File a request endorsed by the several departments to the Dean(s) of the relevant School (s)
- c. Be approved and recommended for an award of degrees by relevant School Boards.
- With the approval and recommendation of the relevant School Board, a student may qualify for a second degree upon completion of the first degree if he/she fulfills the general education requirement in effect at the time of admission for the second degree.
- Students who earned their first degree from another institution must meet Mount Kenya University core unit requirements. Students who completed their degree programme at Mount Kenya University may qualify for a second bachelors degree in unit requirements for the degree a major are met.
- Candidates for second bachelor’s degree are eligible for the dean’s list or other academic honours according to the same criteria as those for candidates for first bachelor’s degrees. Students pursuing advanced degrees are not eligible for academic honours. A second bachelor’s degree candidate may graduate with honors according to the same criteria as candidates for first bachelor’s degree, with residence cumulative average score computed on all residence units earned at Mount Kenya University.
Admission requirements for Masters programmes
The following shall be eligible for admission into Masters degree programmes.-
- a) A holder of a bachelor degree with Second Class Honours, Upper Division of Mount Kenya University, or a degree equivalent qualification recognized by the Senate of Mount Kenya University. Holders of a bachelor degree with second-class honours, lower Division, and who have a working experience of two years and above will also be considered.
- b) A prospective candidate for Masters programme may be required to produce evidence of competence to work for the degree. The Senate may decline to admit a candidate whose attainments are not sufficiently high to warrant such admission.
- c) In addition to producing evidence of eligibility for registration, candidates for the master’s degree may be required to appear for an interview in the department and/or school concerned.
- d) Subject to the approval by the Senate, Schools may formulate regulations requiring applicants to have attained such academic or equivalent qualifications as may be consistent with the goals of their Masters programmes.
Admission requirements for Ph.D degree programmes
To be eligible for registration for a Ph.D degree programme: –
- a) A candidate must have Masters degree of Mount Kenya University or a Masters degree/other qualification from another university recognized by the Senate of Mount Kenya University.
- b) A candidate who holds a Bachelors degree of Mount Kenya University or any other university recognized by senate of Mount Kenya University and has at least three years postgraduate research experience in the subject area and can produce proven evidence in the form of papers, reports, manuscripts, portfolios or other published works.
- c) In addition, to producing evidence of eligibility for admission, candidates for the Doctor of Philosophy degree may be required to appear for an interview by the school and/or department concerned.
- d) Senate shall have overall authority to admit or decline to admit a candidate for the degree.
- e) Subject to approval by the Senate, Schools may formulate regulations requiring applicants to have attained such academic or equivalent qualifications as may be consistent with the goals of their doctorate programmes.
- f) In case of rejection, the Registrar (Academic Affairs) shall inform the applicant of the grounds for rejection.
- g) If satisfied with the applicant’s eligibility, the Postgraduate Studies Board shall recommend to Senate that the applicant be admitted.
- h) For Ph.D. registration, candidates must complete the normal University application forms which shall be scrutinized and vetted by the relevant departments and schools and forwarded to the School of Postgraduate Studies which will request the Director of Admissions and Registration to issue admission letter.
- i) For substantive Ph.D registration, candidates must complete the normal University application forms together with certified copies of their proposals which will have been approved by the relevant departments and schools and forwarded to the School of Postgraduate Studies. The School of Postgraduate Studies shall request the Director of Admissions and Registration, using the university prescribed form, to issue admission letter; and the effective date of registration shall be when the relevant SPSC shall accept the research proposal.
- j) The School of Postgraduate Studies may postpone the research proposal requirements as a pre-requisite for admission when a candidate seeks provisional registration. Departments must make recommendations for such postponement through the relevant school. The recommendations must be based on the applicant’s credentials, departmental research objectives and other relevant considerations. Candidates who are registered provisionally must submit their research proposals within twelve months with effect from the date of registration.
- k) A research proposal must adequately justify the proposed research project, identify gaps in existing knowledge, have a suitable methodology and show evidence of originality.
- l) The proposal should as much as possible adhere to the prescribed university format shown in (MKU/PG/F002) elsewhere in this Handbook.
- Mount Kenya University
- MKU Student Portal Online
- Mount Kenya University Transcripts
- Mount Kenya University Results
- Mount Kenya University Grading System
- Mount Kenya University Admission Letter
- MKU Graduation List 2020/2021
- Mount Kenya University Admission List
Check Other Latest Topics
- University Address
- Admission Requirements
- Application Form
- Course Details
- Fee Structure
- Fees Structure
- Graduation List
- Joining instructions
- Student Loan and Scholarships in Kenya